[Fedora 23] Installing KDE Plasma as a second Desktop Environment! [bug]

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon Nov 23 04:45:44 UTC 2015

On 11/23/15 06:38, Mihuleac Sergiu wrote:
> Hi!
> ==
>
> I have Fedora 23 installed on a [Lenovo
> E540](http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/e-series/e540/#tab-tech_specs)
> with the default Gnome 3 Desktop Environment. I was thinking of trying
> multiple Desktop Environments, so that I might see what are thee new
> breakthroughs. Basically I'm using Gnome for a long time.
>
> What better way to try a new interface then just installing it along
> Gnome 3? So I've installed `KDE` using `dnf groupinstall "KDE Plasma
> Workspaces"` I was very surprised to find out that after the reboot
> `KDE` wold not work ...
>
> What happened is that when I chose to log into `KDE` my screens changes
> and the Desktop Background appears the just in a few second I'm back to
> the log in screen. No matter how many restarts or how many times i try
> the result is the same.
>
> * Is the first time I tried to have multiple Desktop Environments on
> Fedora, is this something that happens often or is it because of fedora 23?
> * And why wold this happen, all seems very straightforwards.
> * Should I make a [bug](https://bugzilla.redhat.com/) report and what
> should I write in it?
> * What is your experience in having multiple desktop environments on
> Fedora?

I have had no issues to add additional DEs.  I have started with only GNOME and added KDE
and I've started with only KDE and added GNOME.  You can try the following to see if any
errors are showing.

1.  Make sure the ConsoleKit package is installed.  If not, install it.

2.  Create a ~/.xinitrc which contains

ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startkde

3.  Reboot your system to runlevel 3

4.  Login from the console and issue "startx".

I've not encountered the issue you're seeing.  What I would do is boot the system to
runlevel 3 then login and see what happens when you use the command "
--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should stay away from
computers altogether.