fedup leaves me stuck between 21 and 22

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 13:55:30 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 01:18:27PM -0400, sean darcy wrote:
> running updated 21.
>
> fedup --network 22
>
> Preparation seemed to go well:

> [   191.911] (II) fedup:<module>() /usr/bin/fedup exiting cleanly at Tue Oct
>
> Rebooted.
>
> Died somewhere in upgrading. Is there any log of the upgrade ?
>
> No new kernel installed. Reboots into 21 kernel. Lots of dupes. yum upgrade
> just give 21 updates.
>
> fedup no help:
>
> fedup --network 22
> usage: fedup <SOURCE> [options]
> fedup: error: argument --network: version must be higher than 22
>
> Any help appreciated.

I believe the upgrade log is in /var/log/upgrade.log.

You might want to try this:

# dnf --allowerasing --assumeno update | tee dnflog.txt

If I recall correctly, this happened to me on only one system I tried
upgrading from F21 -> F22.  There I blithely did a 'dnf update' just
to see what would happen.  (It was an experimental system so I was OK
with being foolhardy).  In that case, the update just solved
everything.

However, I'm not fully confident it will work for you, but if you look
at the output (dnflog.txt) you'll see a list of what would happen if
you ran the update.  Ideally, you'll see lots of potential updates,
and very few potential removals (maybe old kernels, but make sure at
least one is being updated).

Based on the results, you can decide what if any data to back up, and
then try it.  YMMV, caveat emptor.