fedup leaves me stuck between 21 and 22

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 16:57:18 UTC 2015

On 10/07/2015 09:55 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 01:18:27PM -0400, sean darcy wrote:
>> running updated 21.
>>
>> fedup --network 22
>>
>> Preparation seemed to go well:

>> [   191.911] (II) fedup:<module>() /usr/bin/fedup exiting cleanly at Tue Oct
>>
>> Rebooted.
>>
>> Died somewhere in upgrading. Is there any log of the upgrade ?
>>
>> No new kernel installed. Reboots into 21 kernel. Lots of dupes. yum upgrade
>> just give 21 updates.
>>
>> fedup no help:
>>
>> fedup --network 22
>> usage: fedup <SOURCE> [options]
>> fedup: error: argument --network: version must be higher than 22
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>
> I believe the upgrade log is in /var/log/upgrade.log.
>
> You might want to try this:
>
> # dnf --allowerasing --assumeno update | tee dnflog.txt
>
> If I recall correctly, this happened to me on only one system I tried
> upgrading from F21 -> F22.  There I blithely did a 'dnf update' just
> to see what would happen.  (It was an experimental system so I was OK
> with being foolhardy).  In that case, the update just solved
> everything.
>
> However, I'm not fully confident it will work for you, but if you look
> at the output (dnflog.txt) you'll see a list of what would happen if
> you ran the update.  Ideally, you'll see lots of potential updates,
> and very few potential removals (maybe old kernels, but make sure at
> least one is being updated).
>
> Based on the results, you can decide what if any data to back up, and
> then try it.  YMMV, caveat emptor.

Well despite it's name, upgrade.log only logs the preparation steps. The
quote about fedup exiting cleanly is the last line of upgrade.log.

dnf thinks I'm on fc21.

dnf upgrade
Using metadata from Mon Oct  5 17:27:37 2015 (1 day, 19:25:15 hours old)
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

So using dnf won't help.

fedora-release-22-1 is installed:

fedora-release-21-2.noarch
fedora-release-22-1.noarch

I think that's why fedup has the machine at fc22.

What about erasing fedora-release-22-1.noarch and rerunning fedup?

sean