file sharing, screen sharing printer sharing

Antonio M antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 05:26:30 UTC 2015

Tnx Tim..

Funny because when I fired up the computers I could use name for resolving
remote computer, but only for a while.

1) I pinged the computers itself by same machine (i.e. I pinged A from A):

ping Fujiantonio
PING Fujiantonio.homenet.telecomitalia.it (192.168.1.69) 56(84) bytes of
data.
64 bytes from Fujiantonio.homenet.telecomitalia.it (192.168.1.69):
icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.135 ms

and the remote computer ping pcdesktop1
PING pcdesktop1 (192.168.1.3) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from pcdesktop1 (192.168.1.3): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.041 ms

but if I ping from laptop to pcdestop1 (or the reverse) I get:

 ping pcdesktop1
ping: unknown host pcdesktop1

ping Fujiantonio
ping: unknown host Fujiantonio

I will follow by dig output

Tnx again

> On Thu, 2015-10-22 at 18:35 +0200, Antonio M wrote:
> > no, I don't think that is a problem of DNS, I am surfing fine.
>
> For Samba, and other internal networking, you need to be able to resolve
> the names of the local machines.
>
> If you try to use the dig command with a machine hostname, do you get
> it's IP?  And what about the reverse, if you do a dig -x followed by a
> localmachine's IP address, does it get the right hostname as an answer?
>
> Alternatively (if you don't have dig installed), if you try pinging
> another local machine's hostname, does that work (do pings work, does it
> ping the right IP)?  Even if pings don't get answered (due to
> firewalls), if it tries to ping the right IP, then resolution ought to
> be working fine.
>
> --
> tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
>
> Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686
>
> All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
> to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public
> lists.
>
> George Orwell's '1984' was supposed to be a warning against tyranny, not
> a set of instructions for supposedly democratic governments.
>
> --

Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52

Linux Fedora 22 (Twenty-two)