KDE Plasma 5 loading

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Sat Sep 5 21:33:09 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-09-03 at 22:20 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-09-03 at 08:38 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> >
> > This morning I have just booted up the laptop, and all seems to be
> > working well. I can log in, the desktop looks fine, the apps and
> > network are working fine.
> >
> Spoke too soon. Got back home, booted up the laptop and got the black
> screen with cursor again. I'm now using cinnamon instead of plasma.

I've been looking into this a bit further, and the problem seems to be
with drkonqi. It is supposed to detect and report crashes of KDE, but
it seems to fail for some reason and hang up the window manager.

I can disable use of drkonqi by putting:

   #!/bin/sh
   export KDE_DEBUG=1

into the ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/kwin_env.sh file. (I got this
from another persons report of problems with drkonqi. Make sure you
make the file executable.)

The laptop now comes up into KDE. Once logged in, a popup appears
saying that kwin_x11 has crashed and do I want to report it. I have
done this. The only other difference I have noticed is that I run
ksshaskpass automatically, and the popup window appears at the top-left
whereas it used to appear in the center of the screen. Other than that
everything else works as before.

It seems that there have already been reports of drkonqi and
kwin/kwin_x11 crashing and causing all sorts of problems. Hopefully an
update at some time will resolve these.

John.