searching raid 6 card working with fedora 23

thibaut noah thibaut.noah at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 16:33:17 UTC 2016

Yeah i saw some build reviews on freenas, they recommend ecc but it is not
mandatory (and actually after reading some tests i don't get all the fuss
on ecc ram).

Saw that too and i don't get it, i mean, what the hell? You can replace
disks with bigger one but you'll have all this trouble if you want to
expand the array? That doesn't feel right.

I'm a developper so i might get into a situation where some zfs expertise
might come handy, i spend most of my time (10hours + daily even on
weekends) on my computer so no problem.
Thing is spending 600+$$ on a nas doesn't seem worth it compared to buying
an high end raid card.
Also it's either having a second case or buying a dual system case which
cost more than 500$$, those guys...
Spending much money on a raid card also seem like spending money for
nothing too as it seems i'll have better performances with hba card + zfs
that using a raid card. (did some research meanwhile)

If only there was a list of compatibility that would solve my problem, i
emailed lsi support but didn't get a response yet, the adaptec card seems a
bit pricey for what it is.