searching raid 6 card working with fedora 23

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Tue Feb 2 17:50:01 UTC 2016

On 02/02/2016 05:43 PM, thibaut noah wrote:

> Driver compatibility issues, i'm currently running 4.2.5 and i already returned 3 cards who didn't have a compatible driver (tried for one week to run the last one with the help of highpoint support but i returned it after, didn't want to take the chance to loose my money since the allowed delay to return an item is not that long).

And after all this bad experience just at the beginning, you still want to
have a hardware RAID?

Anything involving a custom driver will be a problem whenever you
upgrade kernel or upgrade the operating system. An incorrect lock
or synchronization (it happens easily on out-of-tree drivers) can
destroy your data.

If the driver is already in the kernel, you will not have these
issues, but, you will certainly have to face others:
- possibly slow BIOS scan (and "keep fingers crossed" config utilities)
- possibly proprietary format on disk (if the controller dies, you lose the data)
- excessive abstraction of disks from kernel (good luck running smartctl on simulated disks)

As already suggested: evaluate a software-RAID (mdadm) setup.
You will probably be convinced by what you'll get.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it