searching raid 6 card working with fedora 23

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 18:04:20 UTC 2016

On 02/02/2016 08:43 AM, thibaut noah wrote:
> It's not an enterprise environnement, i will just store movies, tons
> of it.
> Even for personnal datas like photos and stuff, never saw a simple
> user using ecc ram, especially in the windows world of gaming.

Well, yes, but if a bit flips when you're playing a game, it'll probably
produce an odd pixel.  At worst, the game might crash.  The effect is
likely to be transient.

If bits flip in your storage array, the effect will probably be permanent.

> It would be safer, but not worth the money.

It's your data.  It just seems odd to me.  I always use ECC where it's
available.  Crucial offers DIMMs for my system at $25-30 for 4GB,
non-ECC.  ECC is $35.  A difference of $5-10 per DIMM seems pretty small
when you compare it to the HBA and disks you're putting in the system.

> Driver compatibility issues, i'm currently running 4.2.5 and i already
> returned 3 cards who didn't have a compatible driver (tried for one
> week to run the last one with the help of highpoint support but i
> returned it after, didn't want to take the chance to loose my money
> since the allowed delay to return an item is not that long).

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Hardware,_driver_status
https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SATA_hardware_features

The developers comment on various chipsets, and recommended avoiding
Marvell.  In the past, I've found some consumer grade add-in cards by
selecting a chipset and searching for that, rather than more generic terms.

> I want to run 6drives (3To each) in raid 6.
> What do you mean by hotplug backplane? I googled it but it is not very
> clear to me.

I think I'm talking about the cases you mentioned in an earlier email.
A lot of HBAs have a single cable connection, such as a mini-SAS
connection, that connects to a board (a backplane) that sits at the back
of the drive bays, on which the power and data connections for the
drives are mounted.

> Because i do, if i understand what i read correctly hardware raid is
> limited by the card components when my zfs raid will be limited by my
> cpu and ram.

Well, ZFS will be subject to any limitations that exist in the card
components as well, in addition to CPU and RAM limitations.  I'm not
really sure what you mean, here.