Workarounds for Intel video driver X11 crashes

Ted Roche tedroche at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 12:29:54 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> If you're having constant crashes like that, there's something wrong. It's
> been months since I've had to reboot for anything except a power outage, all
> scheduled.

Hence my post.

Been running Linux since dinosaurs roamed the earth, floppy disks, 110
baud, blah blah blah, many machines, many distros.

This is a new-ish laptop, clean F23 install. Inspiron is one model
down in build quality than my usual and I regret that. I've had to
disasssemble and retighten screws twice to avoid crashes when lifting,
twisting, repositioning screen, etc. This doesn't seem to be a replay
of that, although a click certainly can cause mechanical motion. The
screw tightness problem was causing a full hardware crash, short to
ground, dead box, not a desktop crash, so I'm pretty sure they're
different issues.

> Of course, I don't use Gnome, but even that should be more
> stable than this.

GNOME3's not my first choice, just went with the defaults to see how
long until I'm disappointed again and find a new desktop.

So I've narrowed it down to hardware, driver or desktop manager. Now
to vary one factor at a time, gather data, and try alternatives.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC