[Fedora] - No GUI after install bumblebee on Fedora 23

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 17:22:49 UTC 2016

On 7 Jan 2016 5:00 p.m., "Earl A Ramirez" <earlaramirez at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 January 2016 at 01:15, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 7 January 2016 at 15:11, Earl A Ramirez <earlaramirez at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I have a ASUS laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology, therefore, I used
the Fedora documentation [0] to install bumbleeble using the third party
managed driver to install NVIDIA. After the installation I am no longer
seeing the NVIDIA when I use 'lspci | grep VGA'; however, when I use 'lspci
| egrep 'VGA|3D'' I can see the NVIDIA video card.
>>>
>>> $ lspci | grep VGA
>>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 191b (rev
06)

>>> $ lspci | egrep 'VGA|3D'
>>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 191b (rev
06)
>>> 01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M]
(rev a2)

>>> Also I no longer see the vgaswitcheroo under /sys/kernel/debug/. When I
try to boot with the kernel that NVIDIA was build on; the laptop locks up
just before the GUI and you will hear the fans blowing and the only way
around it is to power the laptop down. I have tried booting into that
kernel with different kernel parameters; E.g. nomodeset
rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau and even i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 and all
options and combinations fails.

>>> However when I boot from the kernel that NVIDIA was not compiled on I
can the the get a display that says "oops something went wrong, please try
again" and there is an option to log out, I can also switch to another
virtual console and have full access to the OS. I get the same behaviour
even if I use nomodeset; however, if I use i915.preliminary_hw_support=1 I
get the appropriate resolution.

>>> Can anyone shed some light on how to get the GUI, with bumblebee or
even the Intel graphic drivers?

>>> The packages that were installed are:
>>> $ rpm -qa | egrep 'bumblebee|bbswitch|primus|VirtualGL'
>>> primus-1.1.03282015-2.fc23.x86_64
>>> bumblebee-nvidia-352.63-2.fc23.x86_64
>>> bbswitch-dkms-0.8.0-2.fc23.x86_64
>>> bumblebee-nonfree-release-1.2-1.noarch
>>> VirtualGL-2.4-5.fc23.i686
>>> bumblebee-release-1.2-1.noarch
>>> primus-1.1.03282015-2.fc23.i686
>>> VirtualGL-2.4-5.fc23.x86_64
>>> bumblebee-3.2.1-9.fc23.x86_64
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> Sounds like we practically the same laptop ...
>>
>> This will go a lot easier for you if you install kernel 4.3.3-300 from
updates-testing as that has the full skylake  i915 support (so don't do
preliminary_hw_support on that).

>> This looks suspicious ... Xorg should not see the NVIDIA driver if
you've managed to follow the bumblebee instructions correctly:

>> (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
>> [     4.334] (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
>> [     4.334]  compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
>> [     4.334]  Module class: X.Org Server Extension
>> [     4.335] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  358.16  Mon Nov 16 18:54:01 PST 2015
>>
>> Compare this to mine where optirun/bumblebee/primus works fine:
>>
>> [    23.343] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
>> [    23.343] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
>> [    23.345] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>> [    23.345]    compiled for 1.18.0, module version = 1.0.0
>> [    23.345]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 9.0
>>
>> If the NVIDIA GLX libraries are loaded into xorg it'll trash your intel
stuff ...

>> Are you sure you didn't install the NVIDIA proprietary drivers
(rpmfusion, negativo17 or directly) in some way other than only through the
bumblebee non-free repo?

>> This is my configuration:
>> $ rpm -qa | grep -E 'nvidia|bumblebee|bbswitch|primus|VirtualGL'
>> primus-1.1.03282015-2.fc23.i686
>> bumblebee-3.2.1-9.fc23.x86_64
>> VirtualGL-2.4-5.fc23.i686
>> bumblebee-release-1.2-1.noarch
>> bumblebee-nvidia-352.63-2.fc23.x86_64
>> VirtualGL-2.4-5.fc23.x86_64
>> bbswitch-dkms-0.8.0-2.fc23.x86_64
>> bumblebee-nonfree-release-1.2-1.noarch
>> primus-1.1.03282015-2.fc23.x86_64
>>
>> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX has in it nouveau.modeset=0 and
rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau

>> Before I updated to 4.3.3 today the preliminary_hw_support=1 was needed
as well.

>> What's the output of bumblebee-nvidia --check for you ?
>>

>> --
>>
> Hello James,
>
> Thanks, this is the output from bumblebee-nvidia --check
>
> bumblebee-nvidia --check
> --force compile selected via /etc/sysconfig/nvidia/compile-nvidia-driver
> Warning! This NVIDIA driver has not compiled successfully before on
kernel 4.2.3-300.fc23.x86_64!
> Warning! This NVIDIA driver userland
>  /usr/lib64/nvidia-bumblebee/libGL.so.1 library is missing!
>

> Warning! nvidia.ko was not created in in the kernel tree!
> modinfo output for NVIDIA:
>
> modinfo: ERROR: Module nvidia not found.
>
> Check bbswitch kernel module...
>
> Warning! bbswitch is not loaded into this kernel!
> Since bbswitch is not loaded into the kernel, lets do additional checks
on it...
> dkms status bbswitch output:
> bbswitch, 0.8.0, 4.2.8-300.fc23.x86_64, x86_64: installed
>
> if the bbswitch package is installed, you may wish to try:
> /usr/sbin/dkms add -m bbswitch -v 0.8.0
> /usr/sbin/dkms build -m bbswitch -v 0.8.0
> /usr/sbin/dkms install -m bbswitch -v 0.8.0
> /sbin/modprobe bbswitch
>
> To get clues as to why bbswitch is failing on this kernel...
> All NVIDIA checks completed, but there were 1 or more failures...
> Try running this script with the --debug option to find clues about what
has
> gone wrong with the NVIDIA driver compile process.
>
> When I use the debug option I was prompt to install the NVIDIA driver
manually; which I did and this may cause the suspicion that you saw. I will
enable and install the kernel from testing and give it a try and report
back.

> The next step will be to install all packages for bumblebee and NVIDIA
and to a clean install. It may worth mentioning that I had to install
Fedora by adding the nomodeset to the kernel argument because I was not
able to boot the OS initially.

Yeah I had the same experience...

>From an initial clean install these are the steps:

1) boot with the nouveau modeset and blacklist arguments to disable
nouveau. If nouveau is running (check with lsmod) the nvidia proprietary
driver will fail to load correctly after compiling leading to the situation
you see.
2) if kernel < 4.3 use the preliminary hw argument
3) install bumblebee free and nonfree (managed) repos
4) install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia dkms bbswitch.dkms kernel-devel etc
(basically copy paste the f22+ multilib install line from BB wiki page)
5) reboot
6) as root run bumblebee-nvidia --check

You may need to poke the bbswitch dkms manually.

After this `glxinfo|grep -i vendor` should show Intel and `optirun
glxinfo|grep -i vendor` should show nvidia

Without going as far as a clean install you may be able to clean up the
proprietary driver ... Depends how much customisation you got to beyond
that install as to the worth doing so.