print chain is broken

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Fri Jan 8 01:00:53 UTC 2016

Fedora 23. Everything is up-to-date.

I discovered today that printing that involves PDF of HTML does not work, by which I mean that the job sits in the queue with 'processing' as status.

echo 'foo' > lpr works fine, as does printing the problem pdf from a system running Fedora 19.

The printer is USB-connected. Deleting and re-installing does not change the problem, nor does re-booting.

Driver: HP LaserJet 1300 Series Postscript (recommended)

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-uss720.conf exists with content: blacklist uss720

I'd like to sort this out, but I have no clue where to start. Suggestions appreciated.

thanks.