print chain is broken

Berend De Schouwer berend.de.schouwer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 10:24:48 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-01-07 at 17:00 -0800, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> Fedora 23. Everything is up-to-date.
>
> I discovered today that printing that involves PDF of HTML does not
> work, by which I mean that the job sits in the queue with
> 'processing' as status.
>
> echo 'foo' > lpr works fine, as does printing the problem pdf from a
> system running Fedora 19.
>
> The printer is USB-connected. Deleting and re-installing does not
> change the problem, nor does re-booting.
>

> Driver: HP LaserJet 1300 Series Postscript (recommended)

> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-uss720.conf exists with content: blacklist
> uss720
>
> I'd like to sort this out, but I have no clue where to start.
> Suggestions appreciated.

Well, I can help you get started, at least:

Start with the logs.  journalctl -t cupsd, and also look for any error
messages in 'lpstat -t'.  If you can find an error message, you can
probably fix it.

Note that it might be 'journalctl -t cups' or 'journalctl -t cupsd'.
 I'm too lazy to check, and Fedora uses cups and cupsd interchangeably.

You may have to re-enable the printer to get new logs (cupsenable
<myprinter>)  Cups will disable a printer, so you won't get new logs.

After that, try looking for differences between F19 and F23.

Do you know if Fedora 19 used Postscript?  Maybe foomatic?

You can check the actual driver used by looking at
/etc/cups/ppd/<myprinter>.ppd.  Possibly something like:

*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip"

You might get lucky by copying the ppd from F19:
systemctl stop cups
cp file to /etc/cups/ppd/...
systemctl start cups

Note that F19 might have used 'hpijs' or 'foomatic', and that you might
need to install those libraries (dnf install foomatic hpijs)

If installing foomatic or hpijs works, please file a bug report with
hardware support.  Fedora should have prompted you to install those
libraries when it tried to print if it's needed for that printer.

After all that, I'd personally get a test.  A one page .pdf will do,
and go 'lpr -P<myprinter> testfile.pdf'.