Live image installation fails to recognize existing LVM volumes

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Jan 12 19:51:29 UTC 2016

On 01/12/2016 11:04 AM, Emmett Culley wrote:
> I attempted to install the KDE live image for Fedora 23 and found that the installer would not recognize existing LVM logical volumes.
>
> It the past (Fedora 21), I was able to select existing LVM volumes from the "unknown" list and cause the OS to be installed on existing LVM logical volumes.  Now, all I see in the "unknown" list four non-raid partitions, two of which were swap partitions.
>
> Why doesn't the installer load the LVM volumes?

Are the LVMs using software RAID ("mdraid") partitions? If so, it's a
known bug that the workstation spins don't recognize the mdraid stuff
so your LVMs would also be invisible.

 From the WIKI:

"Software RAID (mdraid) from existing Fedora installations not
recognized by Workstation/Live installs

"link to this item - Bugzilla: #1225184

"Installation from Workstation/Live image does not properly recognize
software RAID (mdraid) devices from existing (e.g. previous) Fedora
installations. Those devices are listed as "Unknown" (0 bytes size) and
cannot be used in the device selection dialog which makes it basically
impossible to install Fedora 23 or keep existing data.

"This bug exists since Fedora 22 (several Bugzilla reports has been
filed for this issue). The Server image does not have this problem and
can be used as a workaround to install the Workstation spin from network
remotely. Fedora Workstation may no longer be the proper distribution
for systems with Software RAID devices."

That last bit is pretty irritating. Obviously it's a fixable problem
or the server image wouldn't work, either. A LOT of people have mdraid
devices.