selinux??

bruce badouglas at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 15:11:33 UTC 2016

> I am always amazed that people think shutting off a security
> something-or-other for some-amount-of-time can be considered safe.
>
> It takes virtually the blink of an eye to get compromised.
>
> If you need to turn off a security feature to do something, then there's
> something wrong with that /thing/ that required it.  It could simply be
> crap programming, or it could be malicious.  And even crap programming
> can be destructive outside of its own files.

really???

it could also be, prob often is.. is that the person who's doing X is
simply trying to get something done, and not be a Sys Admin!!!

Doing security right.. is an effort in understanding the nuances.. If
you've been playing with OS X, than you might have insight into what's
required. But someone who's not gotten into the "guts" of what
something like SeLinux requires, might not have an understanding of
what needs to be configured, or exactly how to configure it, etc..

Or configuring security (firewall, process restrictions, user
restrictions, port issues, rootkit protections, file restrictions,
etc.. ) might be fairly easy to setup, just not obvious to the casual
user on how to do it.

I haven't met a lot of people in my 30+ years of tech who just gloss
over the impotance of security.. I have met alot who aren't sys
admins.. and, even thought they create software projects from time to
time.. wouldn't have a "clue" as to exactly how to set up a good
secure system.. even thought they'd all say.. would be nice to do it!!

peace