x2go alternative

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Mar 28 19:06:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 10:00:53AM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 03/27/2016 08:07 AM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >I haven't been able to make x2go work on Fedora with xfce from a windows
> >wkst for several releases. Currently if anything requiring a gui needs to be run
> >on the Fedora wkst remotely from a windows box I just ssh with x11 forwarding.
> >The problem that remains is if I need access to the currently running console
> >session on the Fedora wkst to access a running gui based application.
> >
> >What alternatives to x2go exist to permit this?
>
> FreeNX (what x2go is based on), several VNC packages (RealVNC, VPNC,
> TigerVNC), Remmina, TeamViewer, vinigre and others. Just google "remote
> desktop linux" and have at it. A fairly good review of some of them:

Interesting set of reviews, thanks for posting it!

But a caveat: VPNC is NOT a VNC server or client, VPNC is a Cisco client,
open source, not endorsed by Cisco. I've used it a LOT in days past,
before everybody seemingly standardized on Cisco's SSL client instead.
VPNC is intresting in that it runs entirely in userspace, so bugs
should be less prone to evilness.