[fedora-virt] spice vga option in virt-manager for F13 virt-preview?

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Aug 19 16:22:40 UTC 2010

On 08/19/2010 09:34 AM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> Hello,
> being in fc13 and installing today the virt-preview repo packages, I
> was hoping to get qxl vga device available as option in virt-manager
> too.
> In fact I see that qemu has been updated to 0.13 version from
> pre-existing 0.12 in stock FC13.
> Correct? or if I want to test spice I have to run from command line my
> guests? In this case which interaction with pre-existing ones managed
> by virt-manager?
> BTW, if merge in virt-manager of virt-preview repo is planned for qxl
> vga, should I "simply" see the option when I try to modify hw for a
> previous gest (aka created in FC13 0.12 qemu) or should I have to
> change virtual hw in xml file for the guest or in other files?

There are libvirt patches for spice support but they aren't upstream yet
AFAICT, as a result you can't get QXL/Spice by editting libvirt XML or
via virt-manager in Fedora.

When virt-manager supports QXL, it should just appear as a video model
option in VM Details->Video . The main blocker though is a graphical
spice widget which we can integrate into virt-manager proper, which
doesn't exist yet.

- Cole