[fedora-virt] Guest resolution notabug?

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Tue Feb 16 14:42:17 UTC 2010

2010/2/16 Paul Lambert <eb30750 at gmail.com>:
> Kenni,
>
> My graphics card is an ATI Radeon that might be contributing to the problem
> somewhat.  My point is regardless of the resolution why does the VM cpu
> display "unknown" for the graphics while the host recognizes the monitor as
> 17" and gives me a choice of resolutions.

No, your ATI Radeon card has nothing to do with the "problem". You
need to understand that your host has access to your real hardware:
graphics card, monitor, HDDs, RAM, CPU, etc. while your VM has NO
ACCESS to your real hardware. Therefore it doesn't know your monitor,
your graphics card, your HDDs, your CPU, etc. etc.

It's a VIRTUAL machine, the hardware in the VM is virtual as well (eg.
the hardware is not physical, you'll never be able to touch the
hardware of your VM - it doesn't exist in real life, only in software
on your computer).

Best Regards
Kenni Lund