[fedora-virt] Using NAT networking - can't ssh FROM the guest to the host

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Sat Jan 2 15:45:36 UTC 2010

People,

I am using F12 x86_64 as a host and have created a F12 i686 guest from
the Live CD - I can successfully ssh from the host TO the guest
(192.168.0.10 => 192.168.122.212) but not the other way around.  It did
actually work for a little while just after creating the guest but after
trying stuff to get sound working on the guest and a couple of reboots,
it no longer works (I can't think what has changed).

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/html/Virtualization_Guide/chap-Virtualization-Network_Configuration.html

says that the lines:

<interface type='network'>
   <source network='default'/>
</interface>

"can be used in the guest" - but what file do they go in?  The only
appropriate file mentioned above those comments is regarding the host:

/usr/share/libvirt/networks/default.xml

- /usr/share/libvirt does not even exist on the guest . .

I would like to get NAT networking going satisfactorily before having to
look at bridged networking.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil.