[fedora-virt] Losing sound in Win XP qemu-kvm guest

Jeff Haney jah.pub at clan-rum.org
Tue Jun 15 12:40:46 UTC 2010

Quoting Dor Laor <dlaor at redhat.com>:
> Indeed es1370 emulation is buggy when multiple stream are played - you
> probably lose it when 2 sound events happen in parallel. (I don't know
> more on this issue)

Thanks, that was my observation but it's nice to have confirmation
from somebody more in the know.

>> 1 - 2 days.  When set to the Intel card, so far, I do not lose sound but
>> it doesn't work as well - the sound is choppy.  Thanks for the reply.
>
> AC97 proved to be better in the past, choppiness might be a recent
> regression.

In Gentoo, AC97 has always worked great, no choppiness.  That's all
the way up through kernel 2.6.33.  Why would it be different in
Fedora?  By default Gentoo doesn't use pulse audio.  Could that be the
difference?  In Fedora, AC97 isn't just choppy, it has a reverb sound.
  This is with the same XP guest image too.  I'll try to capture a
sample and post a link.

-jah