[fedora-virt] Losing sound in Win XP qemu-kvm guest

jah jah.pub at clan-rum.org
Wed Jun 16 14:55:34 UTC 2010

Quoting Dor Laor <dlaor at redhat.com>:
>> Indeed es1370 emulation is buggy when multiple stream are played - you
>> probably lose it when 2 sound events happen in parallel. (I don't know
>> more on this issue)
>
> Thanks, that was my observation but it's nice to have confirmation
> from somebody more in the know.

My mistake, it was sb16 that was dropping out for me, not es1370.  But
similarly, sb16 drops out when there is simultaneous sound from the XP
guest and Linux.  Playing music in Rhythmbox in Fedora will knock out
sb16 emulation in the XP guest for example.

ac97 doesn't drop out but is choppy in Fedora.  When booted into
Gentoo, ac97 sounds great, no choppiness.

Justin, comparing the Fedora qemu.spec file with the Gentoo ebuild and
compile time options, the only difference related to audio that really
stands out for me is pulse audio.

Gentoo qemu-kvm-0.12.4 ebuild:

http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/app-emulation/qemu-kvm/qemu-kvm-0.12.4.ebuild

My Gentoo use flags/compile options (indicated by the plus in 1st or
2nd columns):

# equery u qemu-kvm
[ Searching for packages matching qemu-kvm... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend : Left column  (U) - USE flags from make.conf              ]
[        : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
[ Found these USE variables for app-emulation/qemu-kvm-0.12.4-r1 ]
  U I
  - + aio                             : Enables support for Linux's Async IO
  + + alsa                            : Adds support for
media-libs/alsa-lib (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture)
  - - bluetooth                       : Enables Bluetooth Support
  - - curl                            : Adds support for client-side
URL transfer library
  - - esd                             : Adds support for
media-sound/esound (Enlightened Sound Daemon)
  - - fdt                             : Enables firmware device tree support
  + + gnutls                          : Adds support for
net-libs/gnutls (TLS 1.0 and SSL 3.0 support)
  + + hardened                        : activate default security
enhancements for toolchain (gcc, glibc, binutils)
  - - kvm-trace                       : Allows you to use KVM tracing
  + + ncurses                         : Adds ncurses support (console
display library)
  - - pulseaudio                      : Adds support for PulseAudio
sound server
  - - qemu-ifup                       : Provides the qemu-ifup script
for use with QEMU's built in bridging
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_arm        : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_cris       : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_i386       : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_m68k       : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_microblaze : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_mips       : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_mips64     : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_mips64el   : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_mipsel     : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_ppc        : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_ppc64      : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_ppcemb     : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_sh4        : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_sh4eb      : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_sparc      : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_sparc64    : system emulation target
  - + qemu_softmmu_targets_x86_64     : system emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_alpha         : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_arm           : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_armeb         : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_cris          : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_i386          : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_m68k          : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_microblaze    : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_mips          : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_mipsel        : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_ppc           : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_ppc64         : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_ppc64abi32    : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_sh4           : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_sh4eb         : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_sparc         : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_sparc32plus   : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_sparc64       : userspace emulation target
  - + qemu_user_targets_x86_64        : userspace emulation target
  - - sasl                            : Adds support for the Simple
Authentication and Security Layer
  + + sdl                             : Adds support for Simple Direct
Layer (media library)
  - - static                          : !!do not set this during
bootstrap!! Causes binaries to be statically linked instead of
dynamically
  - - vde                             : Enable VDE-based networking