[fedora-virt] boot.fedoraproject.org?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 23:08:18 UTC 2010

I'm experimenting with boot.fedoraproject.org again, trying to
install a KVM booted from the bfo.iso boot CD image, and I'm
noticing some wacky behavior.

When I let the image file boot normally the DHCP step
always prints dots for several seconds then fails.

If I send a Ctrl-Alt-Del to the KVM after the initial network
failure, it reboots and the 2nd DHCP attempt prints one
dot then immediately says "Here we go!" (There was a mention
of this same behavior for PXE here:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/virt/2010-June/002108.html
and the Ctrl-Alt-Del thing worked for gPXE as well).

I'm now trying to install f13, and it is downloading the
install.img file. Looking at my network stats, it is only
managing a data rate of about 15K (occasionally hitting
a peak of 20K). Meanwhile, the cpu is running at 99%.

Is the gPXE ethernet running one byte at a time polled
transfers or something?

I'll see if the transfer rate improves once it starts running
the anaconda kernel (but it may take a while to get that
far :-).