[fedora-virt] virt-manager with spice support

Avi Alkalay avi at unix.sh
Thu Feb 10 17:44:59 UTC 2011

Ok, so the 'host=' argument is unsupported on qemu 0.13 and the spice
documentation is wrong.

Attached is a qemu wrapper script that you can save under the
name /tmp/qemu-libvirt-spice-fixer.
Then you edit your /etc/libvirt/qemu/myvm.xml and change the emulator line
to this:

    <emulator>/tmp/qemu-libvirt-spice-fixer</emulator>

Now use virt-manager 0.8.6 to create a spice display or simply add it
manually to /etc/libvirt/qemu/myvm.xml like this:

    <graphics type='spice' autoport='yes'/>

Restart libvirt and boot your VMs.
You can now use spicy to connect to your VMs.

This is quite dirty and insecure cause anybody anywhere will be able to
connect to your VMs with the spice protocol. But we are testing new stuff
here, right!?

You can clean the mess when qemu 0.14 will be available so all these
workaround won't be needed anymore. Hopefully.

Regards,
Avi