[fedora-virt] virt-manager with spice support

Avi Alkalay avi at unix.sh
Wed Feb 16 08:04:49 UTC 2011

Some info below related to Windows 7 32 bit guest on Fedora 14 with QEMU
0.14 and spice...

After migrating to QEMU 0.14, my Windows 7 VM booted recognizing and
installing new HW. But none was a QXL device even if virt-manager defines a
qxl device and I can confirm qemu-kvm is being called with '-vga qxl'.
Inside the VM there is only a plain 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter'. I also
tried to manually install the QXL driver via the qxl.inf on this W7 VM with
no success. Windows shows no manufacturer (and thus no further action) when
qxl.inf file is selected.

On the other hand, I defined a spice display via virt-manager and I can
successfully connect to the VM console using spicy.

Sound is another problem. I don't have it with ac97 or with es1370 (selected
automatically when VM device left as 'default'). I can see nice parameters
beins passed on the command line as '-device
ES1370,id=sound0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6' and Windows shows it as a problematic
multimedia audio controller from unknown manufacturer on PCI slot 6. On this
topic, I can also see qemu-kvm being executed with environment
'QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=spice'. I don't know if this can conflict or not.

According to documentation, VDAgent can be installed only on XP, not W7. I
tried anyway with no success.

VIOSerial installs flawlessly but I don't know exactly what it is used for.
I don't have and don't need serial devices for this W7 VMs, I think they are
very uncommon on the Windows platform.

So currently only VirtIO storage and network, spice display (without qxl
driver) are working for me on Windows 7 32 bit guests on Fedora 14 host,
running latest stuff from virt-preview repo.

Thank you for all efforts
Avi