[fedora-virt] virt-manager with spice support

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Sun Feb 20 15:30:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 06:04:49AM -0200, Avi Alkalay wrote:
> Some info below related to Windows 7 32 bit guest on Fedora 14 with QEMU
> 0.14 and spice...
>
> After migrating to QEMU 0.14, my Windows 7 VM booted recognizing and
> installing new HW. But none was a QXL device even if virt-manager defines a
> qxl device and I can confirm qemu-kvm is being called with '-vga qxl'.
> Inside the VM there is only a plain 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter'. I also
> tried to manually install the QXL driver via the qxl.inf on this W7 VM with
> no success. Windows shows no manufacturer (and thus no further action) when
> qxl.inf file is selected.
>
> On the other hand, I defined a spice display via virt-manager and I can
> successfully connect to the VM console using spicy.
>
> Sound is another problem. I don't have it with ac97 or with es1370 (selected
> automatically when VM device left as 'default'). I can see nice parameters
> beins passed on the command line as '-device
> ES1370,id=sound0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6' and Windows shows it as a problematic
> multimedia audio controller from unknown manufacturer on PCI slot 6. On this
> topic, I can also see qemu-kvm being executed with environment
> 'QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=spice'. I don't know if this can conflict or not.

ac97 is unsupported in win7 afaik, that's why Gerd worked on an hda device (well,
usb is another option, but it's performance sucks). I'm not sure what it's status
is (and wether libvirt supports adding it).

The assertions everyone is seeing are not related to win7, but to an issue I thought
Gerd sent a patch for.