[fedora-virt] installation of win7 with virt-manager fails with "Could not access KVM kernel module"

Kevin Wilson wkevils at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 18:32:04 UTC 2012

Hi,
I have Fedora 17 and I tries to install from scratch win7 with
virt-Manager and kvm.

What I tried is this;
Followed the instructions here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_virtualization?rd=Virtualization_Quick_Start

Opened virt-manager as root.
select
   local install media (ISO image or CDROM).

Select:
   Use CDROM or DVD
Select OS type : windows.
Select version: Microsoft windows 7.

accept defaults for Memory (RAM) and CPU.

Select : create a disk image of 25 GB.

Then finish.

I get this error:
Unable to complete install: 'internal error process exited while
connecting to monitor: char device redirected to /dev/pts/6
Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied
failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied
No accelerator found!

/dev/kvm  permissions are:
ls -al /dev/kvm
gives:
crw-rw-rw-+ 1 root kvm 10, 232 Nov 23 18:57 /dev/kvm

Any idea what can it be ?

rgs,
Kevin