[fedora-virt] Windows clock synchronization

Ján ONDREJ (SAL) ondrejj at salstar.sk
Wed Jul 3 16:05:16 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 11:39:14AM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 11:08:48 -0400
> Cole Robinson wrote:
>
> > > Any ideas? Is this a bug?
> > >

> > Possibly, please file a Fedora qemu bug and list all the info you've given here.
>
> I certainly know that no virtual machine I've ever installed has been
> able to keep time worth spit using any kind of emulated hardware.
> (Some older ones are so bad networking goes down because the time
> is so far off they forget to renew their DHCP lease).
>
> Time never made sense till newer versions of linux got virtualized
> clocks that actually knew they ought to get time from the host.
>
> I don't suppose anyone is working on a special clock driver for
> windows?
>
> The vmware web site has lots of info about getting time in virt
> machine to work better, and a lot of the advice worked for me to
> make time a bit better under KVM as well.

What does this mean? Can I use KVM as host for windows server guests?

If yes, I need to make clock at least a bit in sync. My current deltas are
from 0 seconds to 30000 seconds. More tha one hour skew is not acceptable
for servers. Also I am unable to synchronize windows guest time using NTP.
It's still not in sync.

Why there are so many of clock parameters and their suggestions, if there is
nothing I can do to at least be aproximatelly in sync (<3 seconds skew).

Thank you for reply.

						SAL