Website banners

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sun Mar 28 16:57:37 UTC 2010

Dear websites team,

I was setting up this website the other day, and I was looking for a banner on fedoraproject.org that would rotate in some sense;

I would have taken a banner that advertised a release or alpha release or event or happening of some sort, but I was asking myself; "Would I keep updating several banners, and if so, would a couple of dozen webmasters do that too -with all the correct timing and such?"

It lead me to the idea of a javascript type of banner, which would be provided for by the Fedora Project, and have all the campaigns that Fedora Project would like to run at the timeframes it would like to run them, so that the campaigns-javascripted-banner-thing would have to be updated only once (for example, when an alpha release delays with a week or so).

Another idea would be to place various banners in the same location, always;

fp.o/banners/release.png would rotate with the latest release, and fp.o/banners/event.png would rotate per Fedora event type of thing -regardless of whether that rotating is done by replacing the file at the given location or by a script that returns a 304 type of response to the right location.

What say you?

-- Jeroen