syncStatic script update proposal

Sijis Aviles sijis at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 14 03:37:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 13:27:13 +0200
> Kévin Raymond <shaiton at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Currently the script run hourly to build our website is pulling all
> > translations.
> > I would like to add a commit/push then, in order to track each PO
> > updates. That would ensure for us to do it frequently (currently I do
> > it manually times to times) and would be faster for us to checkout
> > them (pulling from Transifex is really slow).
>
> A push from the script?

I think Kevin R. is referring to a job that pull from tx regularly and
pushes it to the fedora-web.git repo. The idea is that the hourly website
build job wouldn't have to pull *all* the data from tx just the changed ones
from the other [tx pull commit to fedora-web.git] job. This would hopefully
make the build times faster.

> ...snip...
>
> > Please, note that I have really no idea if pushing from there is
> > allowed, even if this is working. It is not the aim of a production
> > server… Should we add a cron somewhere?
> > Do you see the advantage of this?
>
> I don't think there's any permissions there to push. It's running as
> the apache user, and I don't think it's a good idea to set it up to
> commit. If someone broke into that account they could push bad changes
> back to the repo. This seems like not a good idea.

We were able to do this commit process when Fedora was running their own TX
instance. Once it was upgraded that functionality disappeared.

> I also though of a way to update POT frequently.
> > Couldn't we push the pot at each rebuild from the master?
> > All major changes would always be in an other branch, right? Therefore
> > there should be no way to avoid POT change from master (from the
> > translator side). A daily job would also do it.
> >
> > Here find as attachment a patch proposal (please mind that I wrote it
> > without test and that I am not a bash guru)
>
> Perhaps some kind of daily job somewhere else...
> or perhaps someone could just do it every week or more regularly.
>
> I'd be happy to do it if I knew the exact SOP/process to do so.
>
> kevin

Kevin F. I hope this clears a couple of things up.

Sijis