syncStatic script update proposal

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Oct 14 15:21:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 12:12:30 +0200
Kévin Raymond <shaiton at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Sijis Aviles
> <sijis at fedoraproject.org> wrote: [snip]
>
> >> A push from the script?
> >>

> > I think Kevin R. is referring to a job that pull from tx regularly
> > and pushes it to the fedora-web.git repo. The idea is that the
> > hourly website build job wouldn't have to pull *all* the data from
> > tx just the changed ones from the other [tx pull commit to
> > fedora-web.git] job. This would hopefully make the build times
> > faster.
> >

> You could call me 'shaiton', we all know who is the real Kevin here :)
> (and writting the accent in Kévin is a pain most kb layout)

:)

Yeah, I see now, I think I misunderstood where you wanted this...

> A daily cron would be perfect.
> Is there a good place for this?

Thats a good question. ;( I am not sure where would make sense.

> Yes, we could do it manually, but what is going to happen when you'll
> be too busy for this little push?
> Or if you just decide to move to the design team and forget about
> everything else? (joking).
> Yesterday I've updated the POT from the spins.fpo website… Last time
> was probably in May. 80 strings added. I am really concerned about
> that, I was the one who added genshi markup for those strings. Why
> didn't I push the new POT for 5 months? I have really no idea, I was
> probably waiting for a special reason.

Yeah, it's hard to remember things like this unless there's a reason
that brings it back up to your attention. Or...

what if we had a reminder at each of the Alpha/Beta/Final website
points to make sure and do this. That wouldn't totally solve things,
but would sure help.

> This is really something that we can script and there are no good
> reasons to do it manually.

Yeah, it's just a matter of where to run it and have the access info
stored.

> Security related, there should some git (ssh?) config that limit user
> permissions. In that case we could limit this cron to push only po and
> pot files.

Not that I know of. If the user has commit, they have commit. You could
possibly do something with a hook, but it gets complex.

> The best is too have a cron somewhere, documented in the SOP wiki
> page[1]. Several things to consider:
> - pulling translations daily and then push them. Having the
> possibility to do it hourly in release time would be perfect for
> translators. Therefore we would have to remove "make pullpos" from
> syncStatic.
> - building the POT file daily (or weekly would be enough, but I am not
> sure that we want 3 cron jobs on the wild) and pushing it. Only from
> the master branch, as we would be able to make some changes without
> breaking translations.
> - Why not generating the LINGUAS file by this time? That could be done
> using a script like this one[2]. This is probably a bad idea as this
> will miss the infra part (which is forgotten to me… Sijis, what is
> needed when we add a language code? There are some new in spin.fpo).
> We still have to do that frequently for all websites.
>
> I think that I wrote all scripts for that yesterday… Now we need to
> decide whether we do it manually and keep in mind that human are not
> 100% reliable, or whether we run this (and where). Kevin, nice you
> came here, this is also concerning infra of course.

Happy to help.

Not sure where it makes sense to do this... let me think on it and see
if we can come up with a solution.

In the mean time we can do manual until we have something better in
place.

kevin