Guidelines for the sites on fedoracommunity.org

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 24 10:01:37 UTC 2012

[CC-ing] the Websites team

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM,  <robyduck at fedoraonline.it> wrote:
> Hello,
> I see that there are some local communities who want to be included to the
> same local fedoracommunity.org subdomain, such as Indonesia and now Italy.
> I'm directly involved in that issue, as webmaster of fedoraonline.it, the
> actual it.fedoracommunity.org and greatest italian community. I think this
> could be a problem in the future too, so why not discuss about some
> guidelines which helps the local communities but also the website team to
> define clearly the state of a community?
> I'm thinking about a solution like the Ubuntu communities:
> obviously, everyone can create a new local community, but only one community
> rappresent the single State. I remember there are regular "tests", which
> verify the activity of the local community and if the site is just online.
> If the test fails another local community site has the right to take the
> place of the precedent one.
>
> Sharing resources is more efficient than spreading users I think, so it
> should be obvious that the goal of the fedoracommunity site is to give the
> end user a clearly identified local community.

+1

> I'm open to be an active part in finding new guidelines, if you want.

I would add that Legal should not approve trademark license agreement
to the unknown if the local community already exist.
Example if my neighbor ask to register the greatitalianfedora.it, the
request should be rejected if the owner is not involved in the local
community.
But they need to understand how the local community works.
It's not easy, neither fast.

At least guidelines would help define  a process and prevent end users
to ask for his own website reference…

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)