Guidelines for the sites on fedoracommunity.org

Antonio Trande anto.trande at gmail.com
Thu May 24 11:18:59 UTC 2012

2012/5/24 Kévin Raymond <shaiton at fedoraproject.org>

> [CC-ing] the Websites team
>
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM,  <robyduck at fedoraonline.it> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I see that there are some local communities who want to be included to
> the
> > same local fedoracommunity.org subdomain, such as Indonesia and now
> Italy.
> > I'm directly involved in that issue, as webmaster of fedoraonline.it,
> the
> > actual it.fedoracommunity.org and greatest italian community. I think
> this
> > could be a problem in the future too, so why not discuss about some
> > guidelines which helps the local communities but also the website team to
> > define clearly the state of a community?
> > I'm thinking about a solution like the Ubuntu communities:
> > obviously, everyone can create a new local community, but only one
> community
> > rappresent the single State. I remember there are regular "tests", which
> > verify the activity of the local community and if the site is just
> online.
> > If the test fails another local community site has the right to take the
> > place of the precedent one.
> >
> > Sharing resources is more efficient than spreading users I think, so it
> > should be obvious that the goal of the fedoracommunity site is to give
> the
> > end user a clearly identified local community.

The idea of "local community" is relative.
The freedom of build a new distro therefore should be considered a try to
divide up the GNU/Linux users ?

The main thing is to assicure yourself that all "local communities"
respect, support, share, spread the fedoraproject values by its
representatives.

> > I'm open to be an active part in finding new guidelines, if you want.

Robert is too of part to be impartial about this issue.

> I would add that Legal should not approve trademark license agreement
> to the unknown if the local community already exist.
> Example if my neighbor ask to register the greatitalianfedora.it, the
> request should be rejected if the owner is not involved in the local
> community.

But they need to understand how the local community works.
> It's not easy, neither fast.
>
> At least guidelines would help define  a process and prevent end users
> to ask for his own website reference…

I agree.

--
*Antonio Trande
"Fedora Ambassador"

**mail*: mailto:sagitter at fedoraproject.org <sagitter at fedoraproject.org>
*Homepage*: http://www.fedora-os.org
*Sip Address* : sip:sagitter AT ekiga.net
*Jabber <http://jabber.org/>* :sagitter AT jabber.org
*GPG Key: 19E6DF27*