Maybe it's time to say goodbye to start.fedoraproject.org?

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 27 15:29:34 UTC 2014

On 08/27/2014 11:16 AM, Chaoyi Zha wrote:
> Perhaps, can you get rid of the clutter around the sides, and just
> have one, primary, emphasized point? Kind of like Firefox and Google's
> homepages.

The primary emphasis is on the updated content stream that (normally) is
geared towards users. The very top of the page has a bar with what Elad
and I distilled into the three most important links for new users -
docs, help, and Fedora mag (the full site.)

> One point that we would like to get across to the user. If
> I had any experience in design, I would put a search box,

A search box that searches what? That goes where? The default browser
has a search box built into the interface via both the URL bar and the
search bar in the upper right, both search the web...

> a support
> link,

There's a large one in the top center of the screen, "Help for Fedora
Users." Should the link be phrased differently do you you? Maybe
"Support" instead of "Help" ? Is the emphasis with the icon and bright
blue not enough?

> a small box with "Updates", and some other useful links in a
> third box.

That's the purpose the Fedora Magazine news feed is supposed to serve
(if you mean news & updates type of updates.) Or do you mean updates, as
in software updates?

> However, I would emphasize a single point in the centre of
> the page, so that it appears less cluttered.

Emphasis, again, is on the news feed in the center of the page. We could
de-emphasize that and emphasize the top 3-item nav bar more?

> Just some thoughts. There doesn't seem to be any FOSS search engines,
> so my vision probably won't be able to be realized. I don't have much
> design experience, so these are just suggestions from an untrained
> eye. :)

Thank you; I appreciate the psecific feedback.

~m