[Fedora-xen] Re: xen changeset is not available

Aron Griffis aron at hp.com
Thu Jul 6 21:54:06 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote:  [Wed Jul 05 2006, 10:01:16AM EDT]
> On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 10:13 +0800, Zhao, Yunfeng wrote:
> > Xen changeset is not available on FC6 Test1.
> > And this info is very useful for fedora-xen user.
> >
> > Is it possible to build changeset number in xen binary of FC6?
>
> There isn't just one changeset, though.  The HV is one changeset of
> -unstable, the kernel patch comes from the hg tree that tracks
> Linus's tree (and thus doesn't have a directly applicable changeset)
> and the tools are a third.  Although hopefully for releases, the
> tools are actually a _released_ version of the tools rather than
> random changeset of the day.

IMHO this is the wrong approach.  It's already bitten ia64, and it's
bound to bite other architectures at some point.  See my comments at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2006-June/msg00154.html
along with Chris's response.  Fedora should be using matched versions
of hypervisor, xenlinux patch and tools, at least as much as possible.
In any case, providing the xen-unstable changeset on which each is
based would be helpful to all parties involved.

Granted, the linux-2.6-xen.patch comes from linux-2.6.tip-xen rather
than xen-unstable directly, but if you trace it back, you can find out
the xen-unstable changeset on which it's based.  At that point,
snapshotting the hypervisor to match becomes relatively easy, and so
does providing the changeset in the release/changelog/description/etc.

Here's an example, if it's helpful:

    hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/linux-2.6.tip-xen.hg
    cd linux-2.6.tip-xen.hg
    xen_unstable_cset=$(hg log -v | awk -F '[ :]' \
        '/^xen-unstable changeset:/{print $(NF-1);exit}')

So then, make a matched hypervisor:

    hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/xen-unstable.hg
    cd xen-unstable.hg
    hg up -C $xen_unstable_cset
    tar cjf ../xen-$xen_unstable_cset.tar.bz2 xen

Regards,
Aron