[Fedora-xen] Invalid file location given

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jan 8 23:24:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:56:36PM -0500, Jack Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a virtual machine running Windows XP.  I'm running
> Fedora 8 version 2.6.21-2952.fc8xen virt-manager.py 0.5.2
>
> Paravirtualized

^^^^ This is your problem.

You need to install Windows XP as a fully virtualized guest - make sure
you select 'Full virtualization' at this step of the install wizard
in virt-manager.

  http://virt-manager.org/screenshots/install/wizard-step3.png

NB, if 'fully virtualized' is grayed out as in this screenshot then
your CPUs does not support hardware virtualization and it is not possible
todo Windows under Xen.

> install media url  is /dev/scd0
> my normal disk partition is /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol03
> there is no file system on the logical volume and it is not mounted
> I chose peth0(bridged) as my physical device
> I have two NICs, eth0 and eth1, if it matters
> 500 MB and 1 virtual CPU
> when I click Finish, I get
>
> Unable to complete install '<type 'exceptions.ValueError'> Invalid file
> location given: No such file or directory

This is because its trying todo a paravirtualized install and looking for
the Linux install media. Make sure you select fullvirt

Dan.