[Fedora-xen] CPU management

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 18 01:50:53 UTC 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008 12:22:30 pm John Summerfield wrote:
> The CPUs are not dedicated. I've not tried specifying more CPUs than I
> have, but I'm sure it's mentioned in the docs. I would expect it to work.
>
> If you give any guest only one CPU, it will only use one CPU at a time,
> but not necessarily the same one all the time. If you want a guest to be
> able to use more than one CPU at a time, you need to specify two (or
> more) CPUs.
>
> I think you can dynamically change the number of CPUs, but you would
> need to check each guest OS to see whether it's supported by that guest.

There's too much nonsense here; since I wrote that I've been editing some xen
domain configurations using vim, and I see one _can_ assign a particular
domain to a particular CPU, and one can specify that a particular domain can
use specific CPUs.

Whether libvirt supports that's another matter. I've not noticed that it does.