[Fedora-xen] Red Hat 5.1, Xen and virt-manager crashes

William R. Barker wrb at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 30 22:41:45 UTC 2008

I've been testing Red Hat 5.1's vm stuff for a couple of weeks and was
quite happy with the results so far.  But I've run into a bit of an issue
that I hope someone out there can help me solve.

Since late last week, after a "yum upgrade" that included the newest
kernel (2.6.18-53.1.6.el5xen), virt-manager dies when started from either
the command line or from the desktop with a segmentation fault.

/var/log/messages gets the following:
kernel: /usr/share/virt[4369] general protection rip:3b4f8401fa
rsp:7fff40efad50 error:0

Nothing is written to /var/log/xen/xend.log.

Nothing is written to ~/.virt-manager/virt-manager.log, although it is
touched.

Returning to the old kernel doesn't help.

The command line utils (xm, virsh, etc) are working fine.

Removing and then reinstalling virt-manager doesn't resolve anything.

The vm's are working fine.

Has anyone else seen (and more importantly, resolved) this
issue?

A few system specs:

New kernel 2.6.18-53.1.6.el5xen
Old kernel 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5xen
virt-manager.x86_64 0.4.0-3.el5

TIA,

bb
------
William R. Barker
Computer Systems & Networks Administrator
Department of Biological Structure
University of Washington School of Medicine
(206) 543-7315