F14 RC3: Bluetooth difficulty on Samsung netbook

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Sun Oct 3 08:25:40 UTC 2010

List, good morning,

Thanks to Kevin for preparing a CD-sized spin of the beta, now testing
F14 RC3 XFCE on a Samsung Netbook NB30.  This machine has Bluetooth
built in; it's always on, and has no physical button for on or off.

The netbook has dual OSs installed, F14-RC3, and XPhome; I think XP
reports the Bluetooth system as 'Widcomm'.

The F14 installation shows a Bluetooth icon, but always with a red
cross against it.  The pop-up reports that Bluetooth is on, but it can
neither find any devices, nor can any devices find it.  The
'properties' item lets you 'turn on Bluetooth' (but it's already on?)
but nothing seems to change.

F13 XFCE spin (live CD) finds the bluetooth.   The Bluetooth icon is
shown, without a red cross against it.  The popup menu in F13 is much
longer, with options such as 'make visible', 'send files ..', 'add new
device', etc.  Devices can see the NB30, and it can find and connect
to devices such as a mobile phone, adding its name to the devices list
in the popup menu. I wondered if the Bluetooth manager in F14 is the
same version as in F13.

Has anyone else experienced success or difficulty with Bluetooth on F14?

I'd be very happy to post details of logging files etc, but I need a
little guidance which files to look at.  Perhaps I could reset and
restart the Bluetooth subsystem somehow.

regards, Ron