F14 RC3: WiFi problem on Samsung netbooks

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Sun Oct 3 09:15:41 UTC 2010

List, another testing difficulty.

Installed F14 RC3 XFCE from the CD-sized image released by Kevin on
Sept 30.  Netbook is Samsung NB30, and dual boots F14 RC3 or XPhome.
WiFi is built-in; there is no physical on/off button for it, but a
softkey combination, 'Function key' and F9, switch WiFi off and on in
Windows XPhome.

Under F14, Network manager does not seem to recognise any WiFi access
points and, after adding some, still does not see them to connect to.
  The 'network icon' in the panel has a 'red cross' against it.

I have also tried F13 XFCE spin (live CD) and F13 does not find the
wireless system, either.

If I connect a wired Ethernet cable, the network connects using the
wired system.  I wonder if the WiFi module is not switching on, or
being switched on?

On a different netbook, Acer AspireOne (on which F13 XFCE is
installed), while F13 does find the inbuilt wireless system and lights
a WiFi LED, the F14 RC3 XFCE liveCD does not find the wireless, and
the WiFi LED on the AspireOne does not light.

I'll do some more checks of dmesg to see how far F14 gets in finding
the WiFi system.  Are there other files I should check?

regards, Ron