Yikes! Panel disappeared; Won't start from 'settings', either (F14)

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 18:35:39 UTC 2011

Hi Ron,

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 8:09 AM, Ron Leach <ronleach at tesco.net> wrote:
> List, good afternoon,
>
> Switched on netbook as per usual today, login, but then there's no
> 'panel'.  I can right-click on the desktop, navigate the applications
> to 'XFCE settings' but when I click on 'panel' nothing happens.
> (Other settings 'applets' work fine.)

You can restart your panel at any time by calling the Alt+F2 run dialog
and typing in "xfce4-panel -r". If this doesn't work then maybe the
panel settings somehow got mangled the last time you shutdown or went to
"sleep". (maybe an unclean shutdown corrupted the files) In that case
you can find the files in ~/.config/xfce4/panel/. You can back them up
by moving and starting afresh with a new login. Just login to a text
terminal by Ctrl+Alt+Fn, where Fn is any key between F2..F6, and try
something like "mv ~/.config/xfce4/panel ~/.config/xfce4/panel.bak".

> I'd like to double check that it isn't caused just by a 'desktop'
> switch, could anyone also let me know how to switch desktops when the
> panel isn't there?

You can always switch desktops with "Ctrl+Alt+<arrow>" or
"Ctrl+Fn", where n is the desktop number. So if you want to
go to desktop 3 try "Ctrl+F3".

> Very many thanks,
>
> Ron

Hopefully this helps you sort things out.

--
Suvayu