More space on the Xfce spin

Brock Hudson escapingsummer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 19:19:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:51:14 -0700
Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:10:56 +0100
> Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yesterday XZ compression hit rawhide and the nightly spins dropped
> > from ~694 MB (i686) / 695 MB (x86_64) to 567 / 568 MB.
>
> Yeah, very nice. ;)
>
> > Now the question is: What are we going to do with this space? What
> > would you like to see in the F15 Xfce spin?
> >
> > Some suggestions:
> >       * libreoffice, at least writer, calc and impress
> >       * gnumeric again (if we don't do libreoffice)
> >       * more remmina-plugins: ATM we only have ssh, rdp and vnc, but
> >         xdmcp, telepathy and nx are available, too
> >       * more development stuff, e.g. meld and more geany-plugins
> >       * games, e.g. gnome-games?
> >
> > More ideas?
>
> parts of libreoffice might make sense... I know many people want to
> try them out when trying a distro. How many and what of them could we
> fit though?
>
> The nx remmina plugin would be nice (I don't think xdmcp is very
> popular these days).
>
> Are there any other themes we might look at shipping? (We would
> probibly have to package them up ourselves).
>
> Also, for once it might be nice to have the free space to handle
> unexpected stuff showing up right before release. ;)
>
> kevin

I agree I like the way the default apps are, I like the minimal number
of included applications because you can choose what you like. As
previously stated a lot of people run xfce instead of gnome because of
how lightweight it is and I think after Gnome 3.0 debuts we will see an
influx of people trying xfce for the first time and we should give them
our very best.