How can we improve the spin?

Raphael Groner raphgro at web.de
Sun Jul 1 14:39:03 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am currently far away from Fedora and the Xfce spin. Though, I would
also like to say something to the topic theming of Xfce.

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 23:15:43 UTC 2012
> Am Freitag, den 29.06.2012, 11:39 -0400 schrieb Jayson Rowe:
{…}
> Yeah, borderless windows look cool, but resizing is cumbersome.

The border could be only one pixel, so the mouse pointer recognizes it.

> > I have grown to quite like the decoration listed as 'default' in
> > the in the appearance settings. It's nice, clean and simple and
> > looks nice with Adwaita.
>
> Yes, we are already using the default XFWM theme in rawhide, so it
> will be in rawhide. We can still change it if we find something
> better.

Personally, I like to use the theme QtCurve in Xfce. It would have
the advantage that additional/potentially installed Qt applications will
fit with a similiar look&feel.

Mageia [*] has that theme only for Gtk2. Dunno what's provided in
Fedora repos currently. There's a port [0] to Gtk3 available, as it
seems.

> > I also didn't realize that about the Fedora logo on the application
> > menu.
>
> Meanwhile I found a solution for this, but it doesn't work for all
> themes.
{…}

I don't want to say something to the logos and rebranding, in general.
This topic is a hot struggle all the time. Because I am not interested
in the details of RedHat's licence model, they would have reasons for
their decisions just like every company with a valid business model. At
least, please don't start a disaster like it happened to Debian vs.
Mozilla [1] with Iceweasel / Icedove / etc., or finally then GNU IceCat.

> One thing you definitely can help us with is QA. In Fedora 14 and 15
> we had a good QA process and a lot of testers. We have a tracking bug
> that was blocked by all other bugs we wanted to fix for that release.
> I didn't have the time to do that for F16 and F17, and that's how we
> missed a few bugs.

As well, I don't want to point out something about the quality of
Fedora seems to have went down in the recent releases. It's out of scope
here for this topic. Definitely, it's not due to Xfce.

> Let's make it better with Xfce 4.10 in Fedora 18!
>
> Kind regards,
> Christoph

Yeah, I am looking forward to it. Keep the good work
going on! Thanks.
Raphael

[0] https://code.launchpad.net/~risoftwi/qtcurve-gtk3/qtcurve-gtk3
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat
[*] (Shame on me, yes. I am testing Cauldron, # urpmi task-xfce )