gvfs-smb

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Sat Jul 7 11:41:19 UTC 2012

> Well, it sure seems like I'm in the minority here :)

I'd always wanted to run the spin and be able to connect to Windows
shares.  Our own systems are NFS based, running a Samba server as
well, so we connect without difficulty at our own site over NFS.  I'd
always wondered why the system wouldn't see Windows shares, though.  I
actually hadn't realised there needed to be another program installed.

It would have helped us, at the start, if it had been in.  I also like
the idea of using the CD spin to pop into some other machine, and be
able to connect to Windows shares, and (of course) I couldn't so used
a Ubuntu CD instead.

But XFCE is pretty good, in my view, it is quite fast; I just think
adding the facility to see Windows shares would be good.

(Just seen Christopher's post, too.  Being cloud 'refuseniks' we don't
use Facebook or whatever so won't see his 'polls'.  But we'd like to
have smb in the spin.)

Ron