heads up about f18+ and lid/power buttons

Sergio secipolla at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 19:20:30 UTC 2012

On 10/21/2012 04:24 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 09:20:17 -0200
> Sergio <secipolla at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I know the people who are going to take care of this will define the
>> approach but nowadays (in Fedora 17) there is acpid that can take
>> care of these power related button presses.
>
> It only handles the power button itself... and only if systemd is
> inhibited.
>
>> It checks if gnome or xfce4 power-manager are running and if so it
>> disables itself.
>
> It does, but systemd is at a lower level, so this doesn't help any.
>
> systemd starts up on boot and takes control of all the power management
> that it's defined to in /etc/systemd/logind.conf
>
> Unless it's inhibited later it will always handle those events.
>
> I suppose acpid could be adjusted to inhibit systemd when it's
> installed, but it also doesn't handle suspend, hibernate or lid.
>
> I think the best option here is for xfce4-power-manager to inhibit
> systemd when it's running and handle all those events as the user
> wishes. Unfortunately, that requires upstream code.
>
> kevin

Oh, I don't know really about this new systemd method nor what should be
the correct way to do it.
But AFAIK acpid can monitor any key and execute whatever script one defines.
It's just that it only comes with the action to poweroff as an example.
I myself have an action to suspend bound to the Sleep key.
I use it (and the power button) out of X, in lightdm or in IceWM, only
in Xfce the power manager takes control.