Request for review: new desktop groups - XFCE

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 12:34:01 UTC 2012

Am Sonntag, den 19.08.2012, 13:01 +0200 schrieb Zoltan Hoppar:
> Hi
>
> I have few suggestion - maybe we can use with them the desktop
> experience adding or replacing them:
>
> - Instead of liferea to have RSS:
> Tickr - RSS reader - http://newsrssticker.com/
> Urssus - RSS reader, pxqt based - https://code.google.com/p/urssus/

Xfce is GTK, no qt please, it will pull in a lot of dependencies. Tickr
could indeed be interesting.

> - Media player:
> Guayadeque - universal media player -
> http://guayadeque.org/forums/index.php?p=/page/Home

I suggest we stick to pragha. It's not an official Xfce app, but closely
related: Is uses Xfce libraries (exo, libxfce4util and libxfce4ui) and
there is a xfce4-panel plugin for it (xfce4-soundmenu-plugin which I am
just about to import into Fedora).

> - Instead of cheese:
> gUVCview (already in repos), much more smaller, almost no dependency

Anybody knows why this is in rpmfusion-free and not in Fedora?

> - Instead of Midori:
> NetSurf - http://www.netsurf-browser.org/

Midori is an Xfce project. NetSurf on the other hand lacks some
important features, see
http://www.netsurf-browser.org/documentation/progress

> - Editor:
> Instead of Leafpad - Medit - http://mooedit.sourceforge.net/

I packaged this years ago, but I was under the impression that is was
written in python while usually prefers C. Need to look at it again, it
seems to bundle a lot of libs such as gtksourceview (and thus has a lot
of dependencies) but as we recently switched back to a new version of
mousepad, the official Xfce editor, I see no reason to change anything.

> - Instead of Xarchiver: - Squeeze - http://squeeze.xfce.org/

He's dead Jim. ;)

Best regards,
Christoph