java

Johannes Lips johannes.lips at gmail.com
Sun May 12 11:22:27 UTC 2013

Raphael Groner wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 14:51:31 -0600
>> From: Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com>
>> To: xfce at lists.fedoraproject.org
>> Subject: Re: spins size changes
>>
>> So, with those changes we are down to 716MB.
>>
>> Close, but still a bit to go. ;(
>>
>> Here's the top 100 packages by size:
>>
>> 130071606 kernel
>> 119258764 glibc-common
>> 93482517 java-1.7.0-openjdk
>
> If you ask me, java could be dropped completely incl. dependencies.
> First of all, for the same reasons as perl was killed. Besides that, it
> has nothing to do directly with Xfce and IMHO, it's a big security risk
> to have java enabled by default, in particular in the browser. And it's
> easy for the user to install JRE/JDK if needed, there could be just a
> nice desktop script (yum install).
If I remember correctly the last time we discussed this the reason for
leaving Java, was that it's often not really obvious what's missing,
when something fails. So I think back then we opted for leaving Java on
the spin and removed some application packages.
I would perhaps rather go for a totally different target size.

Johannes