[fedora-classroom] Project status and potential chances

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 03:54:58 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-12-14 at 20:13 -0600, Eduardo Mayorga Téllez wrote:
> Hi,
Hi!

> I recently realized that a new badge[1] for people who ran a in
> Fedora
> Classroom, but I see that classes have not been held since 2011.
> Probably we need to rethink this a little bit.

+1

It's just because people are busy. It's the general issue with volunteer
based projects :/

> Eduardo Echeverría (aka echevemaster) has the idea of having virtual
> classrooms relying primarily on video. This bring me to mind classes
> Coursera or edX-like. It's called Fedora College and it's under
> active
> development[2].

Isn't moodle good enough[1]? I've seen it being used by quite a few
universities. It's available in the repositories too[2]. (It's generally
better to use an existing, tested platform. It limits the burden to
infra only, instead of infra + development.)

> My idea is: both this IRC classes project and College can be
> complemented rather than blocking each other. I wonder what the
> community think. Is worth to start this again? Are there enough
> people
> willing to help? Let's try to get these questions answered.

We could probably use a platform that lets us put up both irc and video
lessons. I haven't looked at fedora-college yet.

I'll help with infra and lessons. However, this depends on the free
cycles I get, as always :)

[1] https://moodle.org/
[2] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/bugs/moodle
--