Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Stijn Hoop stijn at sandcat.nl
Fri Feb 8 09:34:58 UTC 2013

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 07:47:48 +0100
Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> On 02/06/2013 08:42 AM, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 21:46:32 +0100
> > Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> >> The actual problem is the current Gnome 3 being an entirely
> >> different product than Gnome 2, which usability-wise has *nothing*
> >> in common with Gnome2 and addresses a completely different target
> >> audience.
> >
> > Ralf, could you please stop this generalization. You have been
> > conveniently ignoring posts to the contrary, including mine.
>
> Sorry, I don't see what I am generalizing.
>
> Gnome3 and Gnome2's GUI working principles are entirely different and
> therefore are catering the demands of different target audiences.
> They are similarly different as WinXP and Android are different in
> their GUIs' working principles.
>
> I can not help you if do not understand what I am talking about.
>
> Ralf

I am providing a datapoint that directly contradicts your original
statement, namely that there is a "completely different target
audience" for GNOME 2 vs GNOME 3.

I am that datapoint.

I know that it is my anecdata, but I am pretty sure that I have not yet
read any actual facts supporting your side of the argument as well.

Furthermore I am pretty sure that I am not the only one enjoying GNOME
3, while having enjoyed GNOME 2, having read the other posts in this
thread.

Hopefully that is clearer, regards,

--Stijn