FAS in L10N workflow

Misha Shnurapet shnurapet at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 23 10:22:25 UTC 2011

Hello.

I'd like to discuss the current L10N new member registration process. From my own experience I see it's somewhat discouraging for the newcomers considering the number of steps described in the old guides [1] [2] and inherited by the newer one [3], currently being worked on.

These could loose a few pounds. The actual number of steps it takes before one can start altering files is less (for instance, Transifex doesn't require members' SSH and GPG keys, but I was creating them two years ago because I thought these were mandatory, I never used them for translations).

Since the L10N workflow moved to Transifex, I'd like to know if it's still mandatory for the new translators to sign up for a FAS account. AFAIK Transifex has its own instance of FPCA form as well. The new guides could reflect the changes and provide a simpler registration howto. [4]

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N
[2] http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Contributor_Documentation/1/html/Translation_Quick_Start_Guide/index.html
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Guide
[4] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2011-June/009056.html

--
Best regards,
Email: shnurapet AT fedoraproject.org, IRC: misha on freenode