FAS in L10N workflow

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 23 10:34:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Misha Shnurapet
<shnurapet at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'd like to discuss the current L10N new member registration process. From my own experience I see it's somewhat discouraging for the newcomers considering the number of steps described in the old guides [1] [2] and inherited by the newer one [3], currently being worked on.
>
> These could loose a few pounds. The actual number of steps it takes before one can start altering files is less (for instance, Transifex doesn't require members' SSH and GPG keys, but I was creating them two years ago because I thought these were mandatory, I never used them for translations).
>
> Since the L10N workflow moved to Transifex, I'd like to know if it's still mandatory for the new translators to sign up for a FAS account. AFAIK Transifex has its own instance of FPCA form as well. The new guides could reflect the changes and provide a simpler registration howto. [4]
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N
> [2] http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Contributor_Documentation/1/html/Translation_Quick_Start_Guide/index.html
> [3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Guide
> [4] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/trans/2011-June/009056.html
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Misha Shnurapet, Fedora Project Contributor
> Email: shnurapet AT fedoraproject.org, IRC: misha on freenode
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/shnurapet, GPG: 00217306

An other way could be to auto create a linked account in transifex if
the user doesn't have one yet.
Or to use the FAS one to authenticate using openid[1].

IMHO it is good to keep FAS account because we want Fedora Project
contributors and not only people working int L10n. L10n could be the
start point to contribute.

Moreover, it is not forbidden to add members in a Fedora L10n team
through Transifex if the user has no FAS account (correct me if I am
wrong). Cause as you said, there is the FPCA also in Transifex.net.

[1] http://trac.transifex.org/ticket/67

--
Kévin Raymond
User:shaiton