Fedora 18 Beta Test Compose 1 (TC1) Available Now!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 4 23:49:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 18:49 -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 09:57:42AM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> > > >

> > Netinstall on VirtualBox, choosing minimal installation, failed to boot for
> > me, hanging at reached multi-user target. I could boot in single user mode.
> >
> > Some improvements---grub much easier to edit now (might be a virtualbox
> > issue there) at boot, the problems with no /etc/sysconfig/network and
> > /sys/config/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface> are fixed.
> >
> > Obviously, the not being able to boot is a problem, but only tried on one
> > machine in VirtualBox with a so-so host and I didn't investigate very hard,
> > I was actually more interested in seeing if the /etc/sysconfig networking
> > stuff had been fixed.
>
> The TC2 is much better, seems to have fixed most things that were bothering
> me.  Netinstall, minimal.  Can now boot into multiuser mode, my only

It's worth pointing out that if you do a netinstall, the only testing
that's really relevant to the release validation process is the
installation process itself and things directly under its control.

What actually gets _installed_ when you do a netinst of TC2 is not in
any real sense 'TC2'. It's 'whatever happens to be in the repositories
netinst uses at the time you install'. If you did a netinst of TC1, or
Alpha even, right now you'd get the same package set as if you did a
netinst of Beta TC2. The only thing that would be different between the
two is _the installation process itself_ (and other stuff it controls,
like the bootloader configuration of the installed system). They all
pull from the same repos for the installed system.

So the reason your installed system behaved better with this test isn't
so much changes in TC2 exactly as it is changes in the repos (probably
you got the fixed systemd and selinux-policy that showed up today).

> nitpick is that time defaults to local and there doesn't seem a way to
> choose during installation--Ubuntu does the same thing, though they choose
> to set it to UTC.  (That is, no way to choose during install with Ubuntu).

I think it's supposed to default to UTC, but I'm not 100% sure. Unless
you did a UEFI install? I read some rumblings that in the UEFI spec,
system clock is _required_ to run on local time, not UTC. Which seems
batshit crazy, but hey.